When the legendary Massimo Vignelli speaks, in-house creative professionals listen. Massimo shared his insights and showed many examples of the power of design from his extraordinary work over the past 60 years with the crowd of nearly 100 people who came together for “An Evening With Massimo Vignelli” in New York City on April 25, 2013, at FIT.
With opening remarks by InSource President Andy Brenits, this InSource event provided a provocative perspective on the far-reaching impact and longevity of good design.
Kicking off the event was a premier public viewing of Mohawk’s, “What Will You Make Today?”This 10-minute animated video narrated by Massimo describes his grid-centric approach to book design, noting that “the grid is the underwear of the book.” He explains that “it’s not something that you see. It’s just like underwear: You wear it, but it’s not to be exposed.” This video can be viewed via Mohawk Live, a new, free mobile app.
Some feedback from participants of this InSource event included:
- “Hearing Vignelli speak for 90 minutes was like having a workshop in how to design thoughtfully, strive professionally and love deeply. He is inspirational, on so many levels.”
- “I learned the major difference between a designer and stylist. I completely agree that designers are like doctors. Massimo has been a great inspiration to me all my life.”
- “It was a great event and a dream come true for some of us.”
- “It was an incredibly inspiring evening.”
- “The Massimo Vignelli talk was fascinating. The consistency of his minimalist vision across so many different disciplines and his focus on ‘intellectual elegance’ was truly inspiring.”
- “Massimo was awesome and inspiring! Thanks for putting on such a wonderful event.”
Special thanks to our Global Partners, Event Sponsors and Supporters for this event:
InSource extends its heartfelt appreciation to Massimo Vignelli for his generous donation of time, talent, and interest in InSource!
InSource also greatly appreciates the assistance of the staff at the Fashion Institute of Technology for their fabulous meeting space for this event, as well as the exquisite refreshments catered by Aramark.
We thank Adobe (adobe.com), Brilliant Graphics (brilliant-graphics.com), FunctionFox (functionfox.com), GDUSA (gdusa.com), HOW (howdesign.com), Mohawk (mohawkconnects.com), Neenah Paper (neenahpaper.com), Shutterstock (Shutterstock.com), Lisa Tanner (lisatannerphotography.com), and Utopia (appletoncoated.com) for their generous donation of sponsorships, materials, and services to support the work of InSource!
Keep the Conversation Going!
Discuss this event and connect with your creative peers from around the globe by joining InSource’s LinkedIn group. And if you couldn’t make this event, don’t worry: InSource has just announced several more events planned in 2013!